Doughnuts are delicious, and this is one fact we can all agree to. But most of us don’t know a whole lot more about our favorite fried-dough treat than that.
So, to fill in the holes in your doughnut knowledge, we present to you these facts about doughnuts.
- Doughnuts originated as olykoeks (oily cakes) in the Netherlands in the 17th century.
- They were introduced to the US by Dutch settlers and were first called doughnuts in 1809.
- Doughnuts hit the popularity big-time during WWI, when volunteers served them to United States soldiers while they were fighting on the front lines and then, subsequently, returned home with a taste for them.
- Adolph Levitt, a Russian-born immigrant, invented the first automated doughnut machine in 1920. He called it the “Wonderful Almost Human Automatic Donut Machine.”
Also Read: 5 TIPS TO STOP FEELING HUNGRY ALL THE TIME WITHOUT EATING
- The holes in doughnuts appeared in the first half of the 19th century when bakers discovered that they allowed the pastry to cook more evenly.
- Doughnuts were once declared “The Hit Food of the Century” at the 1933 Chicago World’s Fair.
- The first Friday of every June is celebrated as National Doughnut Day since 1938 when it was officially established by the Chicago Salvation Army to raise much-needed funds during the Great Depression.
- Elvis Presley’s only TV commercial was for Southern Made Doughnuts in 1954.
- The modern US spelling donut was first seen in the late 18th century but did not become popular until the middle of the 20th century.
Also Read: 5 BENEFITS OF HOMEMADE FOOD
- More people buy doughnuts on a Saturday than any other day of the week with 20.1%.
- The biggest donut ever made was an American-style jelly donut, weighing in at 1.7 tons and measuring 1 foot tall.
- The world’s most expensive donut is made of 24k edible gold, edible diamonds, and aged chocolate balsamic vinegar. The remaining ingredients are top secret. They sell for $100 per piece.
- Some unique doughnut flavors/names include Wasabi Cheese, Champagne, Poi (a common Hawaiian starch paste from the taro root), Southern Spice (made with Southern spices, green chilies, and thyme), Rosemary Olive Oil, Bubble Gum, Chicken & Waffle, and Psycho Psushi.
Also Read: 5 MEALS TO EAT HEALTHIER WHEN YOU ARE FEELING LAZY
- If a person added a doughnut a day to their regular diet, they would gain about one extra pound every 10 days.
- The Guinness World record for doughnut eating is held by John Haight since 1980, when he consumed 29 donuts in just over 6 minutes.
Do let us know if you have any other unheard fact about Doughnuts.
Also, we are delighted to announce that Misrii has started delivering homemade Doughnuts.
We understand the lack of doughnut providers in Jaipur and many of the youth fantasized about this yummy delicacy. But now, you have a place in town from where you can order the yummy doughnuts to be delivered at the place of your convenience and enjoy this satiating meal.
So if you are also a doughnut lover or want to try it for the first time, log on to www.misrii.com or download our app from Android OR iOS and order the homemade doughnuts.